Sunday, June 6, 2010

Tenth Street Vegetarian Bistro Lawrence, KS

http://tenthstreetbistro.com/aboutus.aspx

A vegetarian restaurant opened late 2009 in Lawrence. The first two times I went the menu was pricey and limited. After a few months they revamped and started offering lunch portions. I've been going at least once a week since.

Below is the Hummus Plate. It was good. For my personal tastes I prefer the more creamy texture offered at Aladdin's.



This is the Sweet and Sour Vegan Chicken and Tofu. It was entirely too sweet for my taste. I ended up pushing most of the sauce covered tofu and vegan chicken to the side. I will state that this was absolutely a personal thing. I have friends who have ordered it and loved it. I think my salt taste buds have warred and won against my sweet buds.

A few notes on other things I've ordered:
  • Fried Veggie Dumplings - so wonderful! The sauce isn't as good as Encore, but I order these regularly.
  • The Fried Eggplant Fingers aren't Vegan. I made the mistake of assuming.
  • The Monk Bowl is my second favorite thing. I think I love it mainly because their rice is beyond amazing. I don't know what they do to their fried rice, but their fried rice is so forking awesome.
  • Vegan Duck: It's good, but I think the quantity isn't in correlation with the cost. I would order it again but only as a lunch portion.
  • Vegan Shrimp and Tofu Fried Rice is really great. It's very simple with no stand out flavors. Because of my love of their rice this was good for me.
  • Fried Vegan Fish and Chips - meh. Meh especially for the cost. I ate fish and chips in my non veg days primarily for the breading. These are very light on the breading. If you were looking for a more healthy fish and chips these may be for you. The vegan fish definitely reminded me of a flaky fish.
  • Not on the Menu but Kung Pao Vegan Chicken. This is my favorite, favorite thing. This is what I get my omni people to order. It's something that is generally on special and if it isn't they'll make it for you.
I am trying to branch out each time I go and order something different. The problem is I love their fried rice so much that it just sucks me in. I'll say I think their Oriental Cuisine section is probably their best mainly because the owners of the restaurant also own the Vietnamese place.

Go, eat and help keep them around!

No comments:

Post a Comment